Human resources


Recruiting standards to fill positions with international programs depends on the unique needs of that program. Emory’s policy on recruiting for employment can provide preliminary information regarding your options, but consult with Peter Buch in Human Resources for additional guidance.

Types of employment

Working with an established organization within the host country

The easiest method to hire employees in a foreign country is through a third-party partner organization. This approach allows for the legal and financial oversight to rest with the third party rather than Emory. If possible, preference is given to hiring local staff through an established and registered third-party organization. 

Outsourcing your staffing needs to a Professional Employer Organization (PEO) can also be an option although it can involve considerable expense. Contact Global Services at 404-727-9127 or if you would like to explore this option. 

Emory faculty and staff working abroad

Expatriates working and living in a foreign country should be notified of the potential need to maintain personal bank accounts for payroll deposits, while obtaining and retaining documentation of any required work and resident permits, visas and personal tax ID numbers. There are some benefits offered in the United States that do not apply to U.S. citizens overseas. Please contact Peter Buch for more information on supporting Emory employees working abroad.

Emory employees working overseas should also be aware of U.S. regulations around income earned while working or living abroad and the relevant tax deductions and credits associated with such work. For more information, see the IRS page on US citizens and resident aliens abroad. Susan Clark in Emory’s tax office is also available to assist employees with questions.

Hiring independent contractors (local nationals or U.S. / third-country nationals)

Please complete the form and return to the Office of General Counsel and Global Services. If you have any questions, please reach out to Global Services at 404-727-9127 or

International Independent Contractor Information form

International telecommuting and remote work

Requests to telecommute or work remotely are managed by individual departments and require supervisor approval. Note that requests to work remotely from outside the US require additional review given the multiple compliance considerations involved. These include but are not limited to those related to tax liability, immigration and work authorization, cyber security, export controls, insurance, and sponsored funding requirements. As such, international remote work requests must be considered on a case-by-case basis and may not be allowable.

Departments with requests for international remote work should reach out to Global Services (404-727-9127 or for review assistance.

Please note that requests to work outside of the state of Georgia also have compliance considerations. If an employee requests to telecommute or work remotely outside of the State of Georgia, and such work arrangement is not due to COVID-19 or is anticipated to be or becomes permanent, please contact Payroll at

Telecommuting and remote work requests (domestic or international) involving international students and scholars must also be discussed with the department’s ISSS advisor.

See the HR website for guidance on flexible work options, including telecommuting and remote work.


Employees in a foreign country usually must be paid in local currency. Other federal requirements such as mandated withholdings and contributions should be withheld into local accounts in local currency. Please consult with Peter Buch in Human Resources or Joleen Mitchell in University Payroll Services for more information on payroll procedures in order to pay staff in a foreign country.

Performance management of local nationals

Refer to Emory’s policy on performance management for guidelines on how to manage international employees or contractors. Peter Buch in Human Resources can also assist in performance management questions regarding overseas staff.


Many foreign-country employment contracts are subject to local regulations and have specific rules on duration, activities, and employment benefits. Often an employer is expected to cover certain withholding expenses for local employees, such as sickness, maternity, old age, disability, survivors, and work injury benefits. Fringe benefit rates can vary greatly depending on host country laws to cover these mandated withholding programs. There are also numerous paid local public and business holidays that monthly salaried employees (and sometimes contractors) typically receive, which should be taken into consideration when creating work and payroll schedules. Remember to factor these considerations into budgets, agreements with local counterparts, and contractor agreements as necessary. 

If an Emory project in a host country has a combination of Emory employees and local contractors, keep local customs in mind when determining work schedules and benefits. Consult with Peter Buch in Human Resources for assistance in determining the best practice for a program in a particular country.

Reporting ethical violations

Faculty and staff should report ethical standards violations as indicated on the relevant university policies by contacting the Internal Audit Division or by utilizing the online Emory Trust Line.

Ensure that faculty, staff, and students working abroad know how to report problems confidentially. Be sure that overseas staff employed directly by Emory are aware of the following resources:

  • Emory Trust Line, for reporting potential ethical, legal, or business conduct violations or concerns in a confidential manner.
  • Faculty Staff Assistance Program (for employees only), which enhances employees’ emotional and physical health, performance, and wellbeing.
  • HR representatives by department, for locating your HR representative based on the school or division that sponsors an overseas program.

Codes of conduct for discrimination and sexual harassment

Faculty, staff and contractors are expected to obey all U.S. and host country local laws, including those pertaining to equal opportunity and sexual harassment.
Relevant policies: