image of Edison bulb in front of blackboard


This information is intended to serve as a starting point for faculty and staff designing and coordinating global programs and to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of program designs for impactful implementation. Browse the topics below and click through to read more about that topic and get contact information from experts who can help you work through your project's specific needs.

We know this is a lot of information. If you are ever overwhelmed and need guidance about where to start, please reach out. We are here to help.

Establishing legal status New programs that intend to conduct business in any foreign country will be subject to the host country’s legal regulations. Unless all business functions are through a partner organization, country-specific laws classify “conducting business” as including, but not limited to: opening a bank account, employing local staff, buying or leasing real estate, generating income, and operating on a long-term basis. Learn more about establishing legal status >>
Banking Much of Emory’s global work is done in areas that are primarily cash economies. Be aware of the local currency in the country of your planned new program and the currency fluctuation history for budgetary planning purposes. Learn more about banking and purchasing outside the U.S. >>
Hiring abroad Recruiting standards to fill positions with international programs depend on the unique needs of that program. Emory’s policy on recruiting for employment can provide preliminary information regarding your options, but consult with Peter Buch in Human Resources for additional guidance. Learn more about hiring and employing people abroad >>
IT and communications When establishing a program abroad, whatever the location, it’s important to consider data security issues relevant to the host country. Additionally, foreign regulations on data protection can be stricter or have a different focus than U.S. regulations. Traveling with electronic devices also leaves you vulnerable to loss or theft. Learn more about setting up IT and communications for international projects >>
Leasing Space

You may need to enter into real estate agreements for programs operating in a foreign country, particularly in the absence of a partnership with a local institution. Typically, you are required to register lease agreements in foreign countries with the appropriate local authority.

Emory’s Real Estate Services office manages leases, property acquisition, property management, and property disposal for Emory’s commercial, office, and residential real estate holdings.

Please download the Request for Lease Space Form and contact Jan Becker in Real Estate Services for assistance in negotiating rental contracts abroad.

Insurance Needs You will need to factor in Emory's insurance requirements for vehicles, property, human resources, and liability, as well as any additional local insurance requirements. Learn more about the different kinds of coverage and who at Emory to contact for help >>
Reporting and Tax Obligations Emory programs operating internationally must coordinate activities with Emory’s tax office to ensure appropriate tax and reporting documents are filed in a timely manner, consistent with both host country and U.S. federal regulations. Learn more about taxes and program leaders' responsibilities >>
Research and Ethics Emory’s Institutional Review Board oversees research involving human subjects. Please coordinate research projects with the Emory IRB to remain compliant with U.S. regulations. Keep in mind that such research includes simply accepting data from partners in country. Many countries maintain their own system for reviewing and approving research conducted within their borders that involve human subjects as well. Learn more about research ethics requirements and intellectual property protections >>
Import and export Traveler customs restrictions, shipping regulations, and laws regarding "exports" of equipment, software, and technology all impact international work. Ensure you have the resources to keep your project functioning smoothly >>
Fees and Honoraria Paying foreign nationals fees and honoraria doesn't have to be complicated provided you get the correct information up front and establish reasonable expectations for processing time. Learn more about how to process fees and honoraria efficiently >>
Emergency Response In case of emergency while traveling, contact ISOS at 1-800-523-6586, or call collect at 1-215-942-8226. They can help you find a medical facility and assist with other medical and security concerns.

You should also contact the closest U.S. embassy or consulate, or the embassy or consulate from your country of citizenship. Read on for information about evacuation procedures and country-specific resources >>