conceptual image of human resources - a hand offers up a stylized mind surrounded by thought bubbles

Human resources

Recruitment | Types of Employment | Payroll | Performance Management
Benefits | Leave | Ethics | Codes of Conduct | Contacts | Resources


Recruiting standards to fill positions with international programs depends on the unique needs of that program. Emory’s policy on recruiting for employment can provide preliminary information regarding your options, but consult with Peter Buch in Human Resources for additional guidance.

Types of employment

  • Working with an established organization within host country. The easiest method to hire employees in a foreign country, working through a third-party partner organization allows for the legal and financial oversight to rest with the third party rather than Emory. If possible, preference is given to hiring local staff through an established and registered third-party organization.
  • Emory faculty and staff working abroad. Expatriates working and living in a foreign country should be notified of the potential need to maintain personal bank accounts for payroll deposits, while obtaining and retaining documentation of any required work and resident permits, visas and personal tax ID numbers. There are some benefits offered in the United States that do not apply to U.S. citizens overseas. Please contact Peter Buch for more information on supporting Emory employees working abroad.
    Emory employees working overseas should also be aware of U.S. regulations around income earned while working or living abroad and the relevant tax deductions and credits associated with such work. For more information, see the IRS page on US citizens and resident aliens abroad. Susan Clark in Emory’s tax office is also available to assist employees with questions.
  • Hiring local nationals as contractors. Contact Mindy Simon in the General Counsel’s office for assistance in hiring local nationals as independent contractors.
  • Hiring U.S. and third-country nationals as contractors. Contact Mindy Simon in the General Counsel’s office for assistance in hiring U.S. and third-country nationals as independent contractors.


Employees in a foreign country usually must be paid in local currency. Other federal requirements such as mandated withholdings and contributions should be withheld into local accounts in local currency. Please consult with Peter Buch in Human Resources or Joleen Mitchell in University Payroll Services for more information on payroll procedures in order to pay staff in a foreign country.

Performance management of local nationals

Refer to Emory’s policy on performance management for guidelines on how to manage international employees or contractors. Peter Buch in Human Resources can also assist in performance management questions regarding overseas staff.

Benefits for local employees

Many foreign-country employment contracts are subject to local regulations and have specific rules on duration, activities, and employment benefits. Contact Mindy Simon in the General Counsel’s office for assistance in developing employment contracts for local nationals in specific countries.

Often an employer is expected to cover certain withholding expenses for local employees, such as sickness, maternity, old age, disability, survivors, and work injury benefits. Fringe benefit rates can vary greatly depending on host country laws to cover these mandated withholding programs. There are also numerous paid local public and business holidays that monthly salaried employees (and sometimes contractors) typically receive, which should be taken into consideration when creating work and payroll schedules.

Legally mandated types and duration of leave

Take local leave allowances into consideration in any foreign country in which Emory-affiliated staff or contractors are employed. If an Emory project in a host country has a mixture of Emory employees and local contractors, keep local customs in mind when determining work schedules and benefits. Consult with Peter Buch in Human Resources for assistance in determining the best practice for a program in a particular country.

Reporting ethical violations

Faculty and staff should report ethical standards violations as indicated on the relevant university policies by contacting the Internal Audit Division or by utilizing the online Emory Trust Line.

Ensure that faculty, staff, and students working abroad know how to report problems confidentially. Be sure that overseas staff employed directly by Emory are aware of the following resources:

  • Emory Trust Line, for reporting potential ethical, legal, or business conduct violations or concerns in a confidential manner.
  • Faculty Staff Assistance Program (for employees only), which enhances employees’ emotional and physical health, performance, and wellbeing.
  • HR representatives by department, for locating your HR representative based on the school or division that sponsors an overseas program.

Codes of conduct for discrimination and sexual harassment

Faculty, staff and contractors are expected to obey all U.S. and host country local laws, including those pertaining to equal opportunity and sexual harassment.
Relevant policies:


Peter Buch
Director of HR Technology
Human Resources

Mindy Simon
Associate General Counsel
Office of the General Counsel

Joleen Mitchell
University Payroll Services

Hiring local vendors or partners

  • Grant subcontracts: For assistance in arranging for a grant subcontract to or from Emory involving a third party for a portion of a sponsored project in a foreign country, please contact Holly Sommers in the Office of Sponsored Programs.
  • Service agreements: Contracts or payments to foreign vendors for the provision of a service in exchange for a fee should work through the Office of Grants and Contracts to ensure compliance with international, U.S., and university regulations.

Only designated individuals may sign grant subcontracts or service agreements on behalf of the university.


Emory Trust Line

Standards of Conduct


Sexual Harassment